Shampoo bars are AMAZING and are a great way to reduce single-use plastics in your household. These ultra-condensed hair care products are not only eco-friendly, but are frequently made with rich, all natural ingredients that are great for your hair. But if you're not properly caring for your shampoo bars, they won't last as long as they're supposed to. Those amazing shampoo bars can turn to mush and will have a short life if you don't take care of them or store them properly. So we're going to tell you everything you need to know about them and give you some professional tips that will help you extend the life of your shampoo bar!
WHAT IS A SHAMPOO BAR?
While most shampoos come in liquid form, shampoo bars come in a solid form. Shampoo bars are kind of like a bar of soap, but at the same time they're not a bar of soap. Shampoo bars are full of all those good ingredients that cleanse & benefit your hair and scalp, without the water and packed into a concentrated bar of beneficial ingredients. These solid-form shampoos do everything a liquid shampoo can do - they cleanse, add volume and sheen, protect, and moisturize - but they require less plastic. That's a big environmental win!
Those amazing little shampoo bars become activated by water in your shower or bath. When shampoo bars make contact with water they lather up, you then work that lather through your hair like regular shampoo to cleanse without stripping your hair and scalp.
HOW LONG DO SHAMPOO BARS LAST?
A question we get asked frequently is "how long do shampoo bars last?". The life of your shampoo bar is truly dependent on how long/thick your hair is, how often you wash your hair, how many people in your household are using it and how you store/care for your shampoo bar.
- Don’t store your shampoo bar in a puddle of water, or allow water to drip on the bar between use. Water will wear your shampoo bar down quickly.
- Invest in a good soap dish! Store your shampoo bar on a well-draining soap dish. For example, a dish with plenty of holes.
- Make sure to air dry your shampoo bar between uses!
- You can hang your shampoo bar in a soap saver bag. Soap saver bags are usually made out of hemp or cotton which help dry the bar and will allow you to hang up your shampoo bar between uses.
- Buy a stash of shampoo bars. This way you can alternate between bars, allowing one to dry while you use another. Which is also good if you buy a variety of different bars to switch
- Invest in a wire rack for your shower/bath. A wire rack will allow you to store multiple shampoo & soap bars at once. Make sure to avoid stacking your shampoo bars on top of each other and leave a clean space between them.
- Tin containers can be used to store your dry shampoo bars and are very useful when traveling. Make sure your shampoo bar is completely dry before putting your shampoo bar in a tin.
Here is a great example of an eco-friendly, natural wood, soap dish by Bigheart Soap Company that can be used to keep your soap bars, shampoo bars, and conditioner bars dry helping them last even longer.
ARE THE SHAMPOO BARS AT Natural Factory GOOD FOR YOUR HAIR?
YES! The shampoo AND conditioner bars on NATURAL FACTORY are chock-full of natural and organic ingredients for all different kinds of hair types. We have something for just about everyone! The ingredients in the shampoo bars on Natural Factory are carefully selected to address common hair and scalp concerns... like dry & flaky scalp, greasy roots, dry & damaged ends, etc.
Ready to look at some AMAZING shampoo bars? Take a look at this natural shampoo bar we know you'll fall in LOVE with!